OPCSpa is a near all encompassing dietary supplement packed with OPCs benefitting the body in many different ways. It is designed to work at a molecular level in order to fight lipid oxidation of cell membrane, as well as fight off any other oxidation and free radicals within the body. OPCSpa is made of the highest grade of herbal extracts with ingredients such as Oligomeric Proanthocyanidins, Lycopene, Grape Seed Extract, Green Tea Polyphenols, Pycnogenol, and Red Wine Extract; all designed to strengthen your immune system and cell metabolism.
Uses: Stronger antioxidant than C or E by some measure; defending against both types fat-soluble oxidants (Vitamin E) and neutralizes water soluble ones (Vitamin C). Reduces the discomfort and swelling of varicose veins (including Hemorrhoids).
Smaller studies: erectile dysfunction, ADHD, premenstrual syndrome PMS, and decrease the edema (swelling) that often follows injury or surgery, impaired night vision, lupus, easy bruising, high blood pressure and liver cirrhosis. Protect and strengthen collagen and elastin, proteins found in cartilage, tendons, blood vessels and muscle.
Warning: If you are taking Coumadin, (Warfrin), heparin, Trental (pentoxifylline), or aspirin, high doses of OPC’s might cause excessive bleeding.
OPCs stands for oligomeric proanthocyanidin complexes, originally found in bark and needles of pine. They were found to duplicate the effects of vitamin C and were soon discovered by Jacques Masquelier of the University of Bordeaux in France in grape seed extract. The finding proved to be beneficial as grape seed proved to be a better source of OPCs than its pine relative. DW Healthy's OPC Spa is formulated with the highest grade grape seed extracted OPCs to insure its potency through quality.
So how do OPCs benefit you? Well OPCs have been researched for many potential benefits and have come up with wide and varying results. In some cases OPCs appear to stabilize the walls of blood vessels, reduce inflammation, and generally support tissues containing collagen and elastin. OPCs have also shown to be strong antioxidant, equivalently as powerful, if not more, than both vitamin E (which defends against fat-soluble oxidants) and vitamin C (which defends against water-soluble oxidants). Fighting off these oxidants can lead to an exponential array of benefits, even potentially preventing diseases.
Uses for OPCs
"Evidence has suggested that OPCs can reduce the swelling and discomfort of varicose veins and decrease edema (swelling) that often follows injury or surgery." It is important to note that hemorrhoids, a very common health issue, is a varicose vein.
In terms of weaker evidence, OPCs have also been stated to potentially prevent heart disease, revitalize aging skin, reduce the tendency of easy bruising, allergies, and PMS (premenstrual syndrome).
- http://smallmoleculetechnologies.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Small-Molecule-Technologies-Molecules-Health-Not-All-Supplements.pdf (Answer as to why our product is more expensive)
Grape Seed Extract 300 mg
As a potent antioxidant grape seed extract contains the most potent form as it contains 95% OPC's, which is more than other antioxidant extract.
The function of OPC is to help produce glutathione, which is the main antioxidant that protects DNA and strengthen the immune system. Along with its antioxidant production effects OPC's increase the intracellular vitamin C levels as well as strengthen capillaries, improving blood oxygen circulation.
Fights Free Radicals
The antioxidants found in OPC Spa fight free radicals from causing damage to your soft tissue collagen found in joints and skin, hence preventing premature aging upon the body.
Fight Off Future Disease
Because free radicals are harmful compounds in the body that damage DNA cause cell death, and are even believed to contribute to aging, as well as many diseases, taking OPC's are believed to be preventive against future diseases such as heart disease and even cancer, however, it is important to note that research is still being done and results are yet to be made clear.
Chronic Venous Insufficiency
A number of high quality studies have shown that OPC's from grape seed can reduce symptoms of painful and swelling varicose veins.
- http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/263332.php (great page; benefits of GSE w/ supporting studies but video does not support out price)
- http://www.cityofhope.org/superfoods-grape (city of hope grape seed extract for cancer)
- https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00566553 (breast cancer research)
- http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-472-grape%20seed%20extract%20%28grape.aspx?activeingredientid=472&activeingredientname=grape%20seed%20extract%20%28grape (grape seed extract potentials)
Anthocyanosides (OPCs) 200 mg
Eye Health (nocturnal vision)
Purified-high doses of anthocyanoside oligomer administration improves nocturnal vision and clinical symptoms in myopia (near sighted) subjects according to a study done in Seoul, Korea.
Anthocyanosides has also shown protect against photooxidation , protecting the eyes vision.
Alzheimer's Disease/ Dementia
Anthocyanins restore behavioral and biochemical changes caused by streptozotocin-induced sporadic dementia of Alzheimer's type.
Cancerous Cells Reduction
In research trials, anthocyanins have demonstrated the ability to reduce cancer cell proliferation.
Anthocyanins have a protective role against oxidative stress on the cardiovascular system of the body.
Lycopene 200 mg
High antioxidant levels have been found to correlate with the slowing of cataracts and age-related macular degeneration. A study done with lycopene found that lycopene can protect the human retinal pigment epithelium cell line ARPE-19. ARPE-19 protects against H2O2-induced oxidative stress.
Due to lycopene being a powerful antioxidant it has been tested for possibilities of preventing cancer cells and cardiovascular issues.
- http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/290272.php (may ward off kidney cancer in older women)
- http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/231041.php (may help prostate cancer in African Americans)
- http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/281665.php (tomato-rich diet lowers prostate cancer risks)
- http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/278010.php (tomato extract improves blood vessel function in CVD patients)
Pine Bark Extract 100 mg
A study conducted at Chieti- Pescara University in Italy showed that pine extract and OPC's significantly decrease varicose veins, as well as spider veins, and even decrease cramps, discomfort and pain. This also may include general swelling.
- http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/pine-bark-extract-found-effective-to-naturally-improve-varicose-and-spider-veins-following-pregnancy-278525361.html (Great Italian research on opcs on varicose veins)
Powerful Antioxidant Potentials
Pine bark extract has been found to be such a powerful antioxidant that research is testing pine bark extracts possibilities for many medical purposes such as for cardiovascular risk, bone health, neuroprotector, and many others.
A study done by medical new today claims that extract from pine bark may be beneficial for the signs of aging.
- http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/240751.php (visible signs of aging improved by French maritime pine bark extract)
- http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/109151.php (found to naturally reduce cardiovascular risk factors in diabetics)
- http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/100953.php (improves memory in elderly)
- http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/104297.php (naturally reduces osteoarthritis)
- http://www.pycnogenol.com/uploads/tx_atwresearchlibrary/Pycnogenol_for_Cardiovascular_Health.pdf (Safeguards from 5 major risk factors)
- http://www.pycnogenol.com/uploads/tx_atwresearchlibrary/Economy_Class_Syndrom.pdf (thrombosis, leg & ankle swelling)
Green Tea Polyphenois (GTP) 100 mg
Antioxidants such as polyphenols in green tea can neutralize free radicals and may reduce or even help prevent some diseases they cause such as heart disease and cancer.
- http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/green-tea (University of Maryland Medical Center 2013: Effects against many issues including many forms of cancer with supporting research)
- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2789276/ (abstract for cancer chemoprevention)
- http://drhoffman.com/article/egcg-potent-extract-of-green-tea-2/ (similar to the University of Maryland Medical Center, does have many different supporting references)
Due to studies that green tea polyphenois contain neuroprotective effects, researches see the possibility of green tea polyphenois aiding with the effects of Parkinson's.
- http://www.parkinson.org/Parkinson-s-Disease/Treatment/Complementary-Treatment/Green-Tea-Polyphenols-%28GTPs%29 (not a strong endorsement by the Parkinson Foundation, but enough that they have place this information on their website)
- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15350981 (2004 abstract in support of GTP as a therapeutic agent for neurodegenerative disorders such as Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s)
Red Wine Extract 100 mg
Angiogenesis is the process by which new blood vessels form from existing blood vessels, this is the natural process involved with growth and wound healing. In some cases the angiogenesis process turns out negative, like in macular degeneration where abnormal blood vessels form beneath the retina of the eyes - literally getting in the way of the vision. In cell and animal experiments red wine extract has prevented this abnormal formation of blood vessels.
Red wine polyphenols are absorbed efficiently in human subjects and bind to LDL, thus protecting it from oxidation (31,32,35). Resveratrol also reduces the synthesis of lipids and eicosanoids, which promote inflammation and atherosclerosis
- http://www.wellnessresources.com/health/articles/resveratrol_may_protect_against_multiple_eye_diseases/ (eye health)
- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2359620/ (antioxidant)
Weight Related Illness
Red Wine Extract has been used on mice for weight related illnesses. In 2006 Harvard Medical School a research showed that red wine extract lowered the rate of diabetes, liver problems, and a few other fat related problems.
There are studies that show that red wine extract serves as a cardiovascular protector, protecting from oxidative stress to the cardio vascular system.
- http://www.foxnews.com/story/2006/11/02/study-red-wine-extract-makes-fat-mice-healthy-again/ (for fat related diseases)
- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15674304 (abstract: effect of red wine and red grape extract on blood lipids, haemostatic factors, and other risk factors for cardiovascular disease)
- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2359620/ (cardiovascular protectant)
- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10672859 (Mycocardial protection)
- http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/lifestyle-guide-11/supplement-guide-resveratrol (general study for red wine extract benefits)
†This statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease.